Saturday, March 20, 2010

Highway 138 - Damn Lucky I Am Alive

The day started out ok. I woke up and decided to take my family to Ottawa for a surprise. First my wife said she wasn't in the mood, then my son started pulling his usual grumpiness when he is forced to do something. In the end everyone did want to go so we got things together and off we went.

We had just passed a part of Highway 138, just north of St. Andrews West, where the husband of a former high school classsmate of ours was tragically killed in a three vehicle accident. The driver in the wrong survived. I made a comment about how it must be hard for our classmate to go pass that point like we still get a bit of jitters at the corner where we were hit by a drunk driver. Then just a bit north of Bonville, a speeding silver Mazda driven by an women in her 50s attempted to pass me. That's when everyone on the road at that point and time all had heart attacks. Why you say? Here are points on the whys:

#1 - It was a double line, therefore no passing is allowed according to the Highway Traffic Act

#2 - I was travelling at a comfortable 90 kph....yeah, that's 10 over the speed limit BUT the Mazda was going at least 110 for it to quickly come up behind me and then overtake me so quickly.

#3 - We were approaching a small hill in the road, therefore we can't see the oncoming traffic, hence why there was a double line on the road.

#4 - THE BIGGEST reason why we were all nearly crapping bricks....there were a line of 6 oncoming vehicles coming at us with absolutely no time to allow a pass.

It is amazing how in just a few seconds several thoughts went through my head. What the hell was wrong with that stupid broad??!! OMG, I'm going to be in a multi-vehicle accident!!! I'm speeding up so the bitch has to get back behind me before she collides head on to the on-coming traffic!!! Holy crap, she's not slowing down and we're just feet away from the cars!!!! I have to protect my family and do what I can to lessen the accident!! Those poor people coming towards us are doomed!!! I'll get us out of this! All those thoughts went through my brain immediately.

Obviously I survived since I am writing this, but it was damn close to another accident on Highway 138 over a stupid driver. With seconds to spare I watched as the on-coming traffic moved to the shoulder of the road, horns honking as well as my own joining them. The "lady" never showed any signs of regrets of pushing everyone over and almost hitting my front bumper as she shoved her way in front of me. Just before she did I heard a slight bang. I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw the first car of the on-coming traffic was in the ditch and from I think the last car in the line-up was missing their driver's side mirror. It was rolling down the highway. As I drove, keeping an eye in front of me and looking back quickly over and over, I saw people leaving their vehicles. I think everyone had a load of bricks in their pants.

I took the cellphone out of my coat pocket and handed it to my wife so she could call the Ontario Provincial Police about a possible accident behind us and to report the bitch in front of us. It was disappointing. The dispatcher was no help and my wife was so angry with the conversation that she said we would NEVER call to report a dangerous driver again then hung up. We watched as we continued on to the Highway 417 interchange as the Mazda continued to drive like a maniac, passing several vehicles even once passing in the left hand turning lane at Monkland. Then the gates at the train crossing near the road to Maxville went down. I saw her brakelights and it appeared she was stopping. I think she did....but then she wiggled around the barriers just as a VIA train nearly took out her back bumper, the engine's whistle sounding loud and longer than usual. I kind of wished she was hit as there were no other vehicles in the other lane to be involved in a crash. Last time we caught a good sight of the Mazda was when she suddenly flew into the distance and became a speck on the horizon when we were in front of the transport truck inspection station on Highway 417. No OPP vehicles in view and I did not see her pulled to the side by one between that point and Ottawa.

I blogged about it before, but after that experience I just had to speak up again. It is absolutely crazy that a person like that could even fanthom driving in such a manner. I was apalled, angry and ready to overtake the broad and throw one of our juice bottles at her car, but that would make me no better than her.

There needs to be more police presence on Highway 138 and people need to stop flashing their brights to other drivers after they pass cop doing speed checks so to warn them. it;s behaviour like that which is making our roads unsafe. If any of you think otherwise, go read my last blog about this issue. I am sure my recount of a dead baby in the car from an accident cause by recklessness will make you rethink your driving habits.

So yeah, I am kissing the ground I walk on. I am praying to God and thanking Him and whatever guarding Angel has been by my side several times in my life, especially then for protecting my family and other drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment