Saturday, November 21, 2009

An Old Friend Over For a Visit

2006 was a busy year for me. I achieved to be in charge of the municipal heritage group, I cemented some great contacts for my research and I managed to renew old friendships with high school pals whom meant a lot to me back then. I thought that would be the crowning achievement but what capped off the year was meeting for the first time face to face in 25 years with my only childhood friend that I cared about. I already wrote at length about how we got back in contact when we were 17 and how that meeting in Belleville went, even if it was just for seven hours. The fact was that she specifically took a day out of her week trip to Toronto to meet up with me and that meant a lot.

Now 3 years later circumstances have brought about an opportunity. Melissa had some time to herself and I had joked that now would be a good time for her to come my way to visit. Three weeks later I have a house guest. Mel decided to go for the trip idea and what started out as just a passing statement, serious plans were made between us and now she's here. I finally was able to introduce her to my wife and son and later she'll meet my mother and brother again. So far I would have to say that everything went well. She arrived on Tuesday and stayed in Ottawa to do a bit of her own site-seeing. Wednesday we went up to get her, did a couple of Ottawa places and brought her to Cornwall. Thursday she spent the time seeing things between Iroquois and Kingston and Friday it was Montreal viewing. She's still there today and will return to Cornwall tomorrow. Plans are that we'll check out immediate area stuff, visit my mother and brother, then Monday check a site or two then back to Ottawa to look at any last minute sites before she checks in to her hotel. Then Tuesday she's headed back to Calgary.

So far I would have to say it has been great having the extended time together. We have been able to comfortably talk about a lot of things about ourselves, have some laughs, look at some serious matters and, above all, just relax and have a good time. It may not be the ideal time to be here due to many places having limited hours of being open or are closed for the season, but the company is great.

Well, today's the Christmas Parade and unfortunately she'll be missing it, but I also hope that her visit with other friends in Montreal is going well on such a beautiful day like today. Maybe she'll come back and bring the kids with her. Although it is now my turn to get me and my family to go westward to visit her.

No comments:

Post a Comment